Error: Failed to install Active Directory Domain Services binaries

I got a clean installation of Windows Server 2008 Enterprise R2 from my hosting provider. When I try to add a Actice Directory Domain Services role to the server I get a message that the installation is not successfull and the server needs to restart in order to revert all changes. Here's what I have in the server log:
I was adding an additional domain controller (Win 2008 R2) to the domain in our CRM Hosted environment this weekend, and I ran into this error when installing the AD Domain Services role:
Active Directory Domain Services Installer : Failed to install Active Directory Domain Services binaries.
Completely useless error message and the log file in \Windows\Debug didn't have anything further.
I started scrolling through the System Event Log hoping for clues. Since it was a brand new server the log was pretty clean with one exception:
Source:
Service Control Manager
Event ID:
7001
Level:
Error
Description:
The DFS Namespace service depends on the Remote Registry service which failed to start because of the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
Out of other ideas, I decided to clean this one up. The Remote Registry Service had, indeed, been disabled by our data center providers when they imaged the operating system. So I enabled the Remote Registry Service and rebooted. This time, no DFS error in the event log. Fingers crossed, I tried the ADDS Role installation again, and it worked.
So ADDS must have some dependency on DFS, but it would have been nice if the error that was raised was a bit more helpful.
my problem was Remote Registry service with startup type = disable. Modified in startup type = automatic, problem was resolved :-)
Hope this helps someone else.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changes in Windows 2008 Active Directory

Windows Server Support Interview Questions and Answers (L1)

How to Write a Letter Requesting Sponsorship